Sunday, October 18, 2009

Hello!

My name's Cody. I'm a theology student. I spent my teenage years as an atheist, and near the end of high school became convinced in the existence of God. Sometime after that I became a Christian. I started this blog for a few reasons:

1. I enjoy debate and conversation on deeper, more important matters. I have always been miserable at small talk and terrific at alienating people who don't like talking about politics, religion, and what some call "personal matters," which are in fact intensely far-reaching, impacting much more than just the individual. However, I am also polite, friendly, and non-combative. I may openly disagree with you, but I will do my best to treat you with respect and hope you will do the same to me. No name-calling, please.

2. I think that Christians in the west haven't done a good job of explaining Christianity to non-Christians, nor have they done a good job of reflecting the character of Christ. As a result, Christianity looks silly, and Christians judgmental idiots, to those who are outside. I want to correct some of these misperceptions and show non-Christians the reasonableness of our faith. While I can't argue with the fact that many Christians are in fact judgmental idiots, I can correct the perception that they somehow reflect Christ in this regard, and show that Christians should be held to a higher standard. If you choose to disagree with my views anyway, that's totally fine. But if I have corrected some stereotypes, I will still have felt that I have accomplished one of my major goals.

3. Being that Christianity is a religion which supports sharing its tenets and encouraging people to embrace them, I am hoping to lead people to Christ. I want to be honest about this right up front because I don't want to be deceptive. However, it is not my goal to be pushy. You are free to look at my arguments and make up your mind. You are also free to e-mail me if you have any questions. My e-mail address is at yahoo.com, and my username is revd_icu (I am wording it this way so bots won't steal my e-mail and spam me).

I will be giving evidences for what Christians believe, clarifying confusing doctrines, and trying to better reflect the personhood and love of Jesus Christ. Most of what I write will be targeted toward skeptics, though I may occasionally compare Christianity to other world religions for the purpose of highlighting differences and showcasing what I feel is the superiority of the Christian religion. I will TRY to use easy-to-understand language, even when talking about somewhat technical matters, so that it will be easy for readers to follow me.

I also have another blog, http://codysblackbox.blogspot.com, which is targeted toward Christians and skeptics alike, though mainly toward Christians. I started this new blog to target skeptics specifically. You may find some over-lap of posts on both blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment